Saudi Nationals who complete the full certification programme and become Certified Board Secretaries can apply for a partial refund from HRDF up to a value of SAR 5,400. Terms and Conditions apply. Click here for more information.
Our Certified Board Secretary Programme is being run in collaboration with the Financial Academy who are the Awarding Body.
Date: Part 1: 3-4 July 2024
Part 2: 10-11 July 2024
Time: 9:30am - 6:00pm (KSA Time)
10:30am - 7:00pm (UAE Time)
Format: Online Zoom workshop
Facilitator: Alisson Dillon Kibirige, Senior External Associate, GCC Board Directors Institute
Board secretaries have an important role to play as governance professionals in all types of organisations in the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors. Governance is more than just complying with laws, regulations, standards, and codes; it is also about creating cultures of good practice. This means that board secretaries need more than the technical skills and experience to know what corporate governance practices are needed in an organisation and why.
They also need the emotional intelligence, skills and experience to ensure that they know how the practices typically would be implemented to work effectively. The modern board secretary provides professional guidance to shareholders, boards, individual directors, management, and other stakeholders on the governance aspects of strategic decisions.
- Describe the board secretary's role in advising board members on their roles and responsibilities
- Advise the board members on their duties and liabilities
- Develop policies on and strategies to deal with conflicts of interest, related party transactions and breaches of duty
Board Evaluation and Delegation
- Describe the board secretary's role in developing and organising a board evaluation
- Develop strategies to deal with issues raised by a board evaluation
- Describe the board secretary's role in promoting professional development
- Explain the system of delegation of authority within an organisation
- Describe the different roles of the board and management
- Analyse the board secretary's role in helping to make the system of delegation work effectively
Board Composition and Succession Planning
- Describe the characteristics and benefits of a balanced board
- Develop a succession plan for the board
- Explain the board secretary's role in board member selection, appointment and departure
- Develop an induction programme for new board members
Financial Oversight & Analysis
- Describe the role of the board secretary in assisting the board (audit committee) in fulfilling their financial oversight responsibilities
- Explain the role of external auditors
- Describe the components in a set of financial statements
- Explain ratio analysis and its importance to boards
Who should attend?
• Appointed and aspiring board secretaries, company secretaries and governance professionals.
• Anyone involved in companies law and regulatory compliance.
• Anyone seeking a better understanding of the role of the board secretary who has responsibility for corporate governance practices and interaction with the Board.
Price per person for 4-day workshop:
Non-Member: USD 3960 per person
Associate: USD 3762 per person
Member: USD 3483 per person
Fellow: USD 3006 per person
Rates above are exclusive of VAT and any WHT and effective as at 17 May 2020
Special rates are available for companies wishing to purchase multiple seats - please ask us for more information.
GCC BDI Certified Board Secretary Programme
This workshop forms part of the GCC BDI certified board secretary programme which GCC BDI has launched for GCC board secretaries. The programme consists of 4 workshops at 6 month intervals. To be certified by GCC BDI, a participant will need to complete all 4 workshops and pass the multiple choice exam at the end of each workshop. Certification is optional - board secretaries can simply attend one or more of the workshops if they don't wish to sit the exam.
The programme consists of four workshops:
• The Board Secretary Role - Governance and Decision-Making
• The Board Secretaries Role - Board Members
• The Board Secretaries Role - Shareholders and Other Stakeholders
• The Board Secretaries Role - Strategy & Risk
Participants can attend one, two or three workshops or all four, but if they wish to be certified they must attend all four in any order.
- This programme will help the board secretary to act as a bridge for information, communication, advice, and arbitration between the board and management and between the organisation and its shareholders and stakeholders. The programme will support the board secretary to fully understand their roles and responsibilities in relation to all stakeholders in the corporate governance system.
- This programme is designed to provide participants with the knowledge, skills and practical tips for carrying out their duties as board secretary.
- The programme will be interactive and skills-based, providing participants with practical examples.
If a participant wishes to be certified, they must attend all four workshops and pass the multiple choice exam at the end of each workshop.
GCC BDI is pleased to announce the Board Secretary Certification Programme is now recognised by the Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF) in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Nationals who complete the full certification programme and become Certified Board Secretaries can apply for a partial refund from HRDF up to a value of SAR 5,400. Terms and Conditions apply. Click here for more information.
The Human Resources Development Fund is a Saudi governmental authority that was established by a royal decree in July 2000. It falls under the Saudi Ministry of Labor and Social Development. HRDF is mainly concerned with providing financial support to organizations that train and qualify Saudis in the private sector.
The Human Resources Development Fund is a Saudi governmental authority that was established by a royal decree in July 2000. It falls under the Saudi Ministry of Labor and Social Development. HRDF is mainly concerned with providing financial support to organisations that train and qualify Saudis in the private sector.
For more details about the programme itself, please see the brochure here.